I came across this magic ingredient for my homemade humous whilst making it last year and realising half way through I had no tahini! I raided the cupboards wondering what on earth I could use to give the dip some substance and that buttery, nutty flavour….then I saw it staring me in the face.
My friends seem to love it and a couple have asked what the secret is. So here we go. Enjoy!
1 Can of Chickpeas
Juice of 1 lemon
salt & pepper for seasoning
and PEANUT BUTTER!
- Put the can of chickpeas into a little mixing bowl with a at least 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of half the lemon.
- I use a simple hand blender and blitz the chickpeas until it starts to become a smooth paste. There will be lumps in it but that is ok for now as you will blitz more shortly.
- Put a couple of pinches of chilli powder into the paste and stir in. I always have a jar of Rajah Chilli Powder in my cupboard as I personally find it to be one of the best.
- At this point, give it a little taste and then season as you wish with salt and pepper. Then stir. You may need to add in a little more lemon juice or olive oil and that is fine as it is all very personal to your taste.
- At this point put 1 generous tablespoon of peanut butter in and then use the hand blender again to continue smoothing out the mix.
- After a final taste, put your humous into a little bowl and swirl a crevice in the middle, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with a touch more chilli powder.
Ready to serve!